NameMarks VillaTypeFarmResidenceDescription'Marks Villa' was built on land originally granted to Andrew Allen on 24 January 1817.
The property was farmed by Samuel Marks in the 1800's and presumably this is how the farm came to be named.
The Johnston family leased 'Marks Villa' (190 acres) from John Russell from 1 October 1901 until 16 February 1916, when the Johnston's purchased the property from the Russell land sale.
After the death of John Johnston Senior in 1916, his sons Charles and John Alfred continued to farm the property. Charles Johnston died suddenly in 1944, and John Alfred, together with his sons, John Lindsay and Garnet (Garnie) Hedley James Johnston, continued to run the farm.
Illawarra Shorthorn cattle were bred successfully at 'Marks Villa'. In 1916, an easement was acquired by the Illawarra Cooperative Central Dairy for the purpose of a water supply from Macquarie Rivulet on Boles’ property, and because of the cooperation of the Johnston’s, the ICCD had a water supply for 39 years until it was connected to Sydney Water.
In 1942, the Johnston’s experienced major upheaval when authorities resumed 70 acres of 'Marks Villa' for the World War Two emergency airstrip in Albion Park. Two homes and farm buildings were relocated some two kilometres away, drastically reducing income for many years. A remaining concrete silo marks the original site of 'Marks Villa' along the Illawarra Highway.
Shellharbour City Council officially named one of the new Shellharbour Airport Precinct roads 'Marks Villa Close', which was gazetted Friday 10 June 2022.