Open/Close Toolbox
Item Type: Place
Linked To
CollectionFamilyLocalityOrganisationPlacePhotographObjectFamilyPlaceDocumentArtworkPerson
Map
Shellharbour Airport
DESCRIPTION
NameShellharbour AirportAlternative NameIllawarra Regional AirportAlbion Park Aerodrome
TypeComplexShellharbour City CouncilGeolocation[1]
AddressAirport Road,Albion Park RailDescriptionThe land on which Shellharbour Airport now lies was once part of the original ‘Waterloo’ estate, granted to Andrew Allen in 1817.
Samuel Marks purchased 247 acres of the Waterloo Estate c.1876, and presumably built and named the homestead ‘Marks Villa’ which still survives today.
Land owner John Russell purchased Marks Villa in 1872 and in 1916 the Johnston family purchased the farm at the Russell Estate sale.
The Johnston family farmed the land for many years successfully, until part of their property was resumed during World War Two when the Department of Defence built the airstrip in 1942, as an RAAF pilot training facility.
Marks Villa homestead at this time was moved some two kilometres to a site behind ‘Ravensthorpe’ homestead, where it lies today.
Marks Villa's silo and fig tree can still be seen as a landmark at the original site of the property.
The Orange family farm was situated on the Illawarra Highway Albion Park Rail, on part of the original “Waterloo” grant.
'My father received a telegram from the Air Ministry in Melbourne on a Monday in 1942, advising the requisition of 30 acres of his land for building the airstrip. By Thursday of that week, the tractors began clearing the bush. Surplus tractors were requisitioned from local farmers. After three weeks, a large bulldozer with a 15-foot blade took only 3 to 4 days to clear almost the full length of the airstrip of light timber, which was pushed into rows for burning. Trucks working around the clock brought in blue metal. The strip was used for training and several emergency landings' (Gordon Orange).
The airport was handed over to the Department of Civil Aviation after the war. Initially, Trans Australian and then Australian National Airlines ran the services through Albion Park Airport to Canberra and Melbourne, however, these services were withdrawn in 1950. Low-key general aviation operations continued including civilian pilot training.
In 1960 Shellharbour Municipal Council was granted permissive occupancy of the aerodrome and in 1962 the ownership transferred under the Commonwealth Aerodrome Local Ownership Plan (ALOP).
Although aircraft charters operated for a number of years it was not until the 1970’s that Southbank Aviation commenced services to Canberra, Melbourne and Newcastle. This company relocated to Sydney in the late 1970’s. Two pilot training schools and an aircraft maintenance operation were the main airport tenants during the early 1980’s.
The National Safety Council established a base at the airport essentially for helicopter rescue operations. Following their demise the NSW Health Department took over the facility using Lloyds to provide the rescue service under contract arrangement.
The Commonwealth Government withdrew from the local ownership plan in 1990, leaving Council with the full responsibility for care and control of the airport. The annual maintenance and operational costs effectively doubled for Council through this arrangement, as Council no longer received financial subsidies.
A management study completed by aviation consultants in 1990 provided a framework for future management and development of the airport. A master plan was prepared and still forms the basis for current development proposals. A number of studies and business surveys have been carried out to support development works and other initiatives aimed at establishing a commercially viable business, which provides a range of services to the public.
The Airport had an upgrade and redevelopment in 2002 and the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) from Bankstown has relocated to the airport bringing a collection of aviation history as a museum, including the Lockheed Super Constellation “Connie”, and the Catalina Flying Boat. An AVIEX Exhibition and air pageant was held in September 2002. A hanger to house the historic aircraft is under construction in 2005.
In March 2005 work began on a new construction of the main north south runway at the Airport.
External LinkAlbion Park Aerodrome 1946Move to Retain Aerodrome 1946Women Learn to Fly 1946Hen's Dislike Noise 1947Drainage Problem 1948Drome Compensation 1949Albion Park Aerodrome Wanted for Housing 1949Air Service 1954SC Airways to Use Albion Park Drome 1952
TypeComplexShellharbour City CouncilGeolocation[1]
AddressAirport Road,Albion Park RailDescriptionThe land on which Shellharbour Airport now lies was once part of the original ‘Waterloo’ estate, granted to Andrew Allen in 1817. Samuel Marks purchased 247 acres of the Waterloo Estate c.1876, and presumably built and named the homestead ‘Marks Villa’ which still survives today.
Land owner John Russell purchased Marks Villa in 1872 and in 1916 the Johnston family purchased the farm at the Russell Estate sale.
The Johnston family farmed the land for many years successfully, until part of their property was resumed during World War Two when the Department of Defence built the airstrip in 1942, as an RAAF pilot training facility.
Marks Villa homestead at this time was moved some two kilometres to a site behind ‘Ravensthorpe’ homestead, where it lies today.
Marks Villa's silo and fig tree can still be seen as a landmark at the original site of the property.
The Orange family farm was situated on the Illawarra Highway Albion Park Rail, on part of the original “Waterloo” grant.
'My father received a telegram from the Air Ministry in Melbourne on a Monday in 1942, advising the requisition of 30 acres of his land for building the airstrip. By Thursday of that week, the tractors began clearing the bush. Surplus tractors were requisitioned from local farmers. After three weeks, a large bulldozer with a 15-foot blade took only 3 to 4 days to clear almost the full length of the airstrip of light timber, which was pushed into rows for burning. Trucks working around the clock brought in blue metal. The strip was used for training and several emergency landings' (Gordon Orange).
The airport was handed over to the Department of Civil Aviation after the war. Initially, Trans Australian and then Australian National Airlines ran the services through Albion Park Airport to Canberra and Melbourne, however, these services were withdrawn in 1950. Low-key general aviation operations continued including civilian pilot training.
In 1960 Shellharbour Municipal Council was granted permissive occupancy of the aerodrome and in 1962 the ownership transferred under the Commonwealth Aerodrome Local Ownership Plan (ALOP).
Although aircraft charters operated for a number of years it was not until the 1970’s that Southbank Aviation commenced services to Canberra, Melbourne and Newcastle. This company relocated to Sydney in the late 1970’s. Two pilot training schools and an aircraft maintenance operation were the main airport tenants during the early 1980’s.
The National Safety Council established a base at the airport essentially for helicopter rescue operations. Following their demise the NSW Health Department took over the facility using Lloyds to provide the rescue service under contract arrangement.
The Commonwealth Government withdrew from the local ownership plan in 1990, leaving Council with the full responsibility for care and control of the airport. The annual maintenance and operational costs effectively doubled for Council through this arrangement, as Council no longer received financial subsidies.
A management study completed by aviation consultants in 1990 provided a framework for future management and development of the airport. A master plan was prepared and still forms the basis for current development proposals. A number of studies and business surveys have been carried out to support development works and other initiatives aimed at establishing a commercially viable business, which provides a range of services to the public.
The Airport had an upgrade and redevelopment in 2002 and the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) from Bankstown has relocated to the airport bringing a collection of aviation history as a museum, including the Lockheed Super Constellation “Connie”, and the Catalina Flying Boat. An AVIEX Exhibition and air pageant was held in September 2002. A hanger to house the historic aircraft is under construction in 2005.
In March 2005 work began on a new construction of the main north south runway at the Airport.
External LinkAlbion Park Aerodrome 1946Move to Retain Aerodrome 1946Women Learn to Fly 1946Hen's Dislike Noise 1947Drainage Problem 1948Drome Compensation 1949Albion Park Aerodrome Wanted for Housing 1949Air Service 1954SC Airways to Use Albion Park Drome 1952
Artwork
Person
Heritage Information
Heritage NSW LinkShellharbour Heritage Inventory Sheet
CONNECTIONS
CollectionPlacesFamilyJohnston (John)LocalityAlbion Park RailOrganisationShellharbour City CouncilPlaceMarks VillaWanalama
Shellharbour Airport. Shellharbour City Council, accessed 16/12/2025, https://discover.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/1092







