Boles
DESCRIPTION
NameBolesDescriptionWilliam Hamilton Boles was born about 1865 in Ireland, to George and Ellen Boles (nee Hamilton).
It is believed William was sponsored by John Hamilton of East Kangaloon, Berrima, along with an Alexander Boles, to emigrate to Australia. John Hamilton was probably related to William’s mother, Ellen Boles (nee Hamilton). John Hamilton's brother James, lived at Stoney Creek, Albion Park.
The NSW Immigration Deposit Journal for November 1883, lists William as 28 years old, and Alexander 24 Years old. They were both from Maguire? Bridge, County Fermanagh.
The NSW Assisted Immigration Passenger List for the ‘Australian’ 1884, lists single men William H Bowles as 18 years old, and Alexander Bowles as 24 years old. They were both agricultural labourers.
In 1893, William Hamilton Boles married Margaret Fleming at Kiama. Margaret was the daughter of William and Catherine Fleming (nee Gibson). Margaret’s father William died in 1892, the result of injuries received from falling from his horse at Stoney Creek, Jamberoo.
William and Margaret lived at Robertson for a time. William had at least one brother John Henry Boles, and a sister Emma Jane Boles, who also lived in the Robertson area. John Henry Boles marriage certificate from 1898 states their father George Boles, was a shoemaker. Emma’s marriage certificate dated 1899, states their father George was a farmer. Their mother Ellen Bowles died at Robertson 17 November 1916. Ellen’s parents were as John and Ellen Hamilton (nee Ward).
William and Margaret Boles had two children, Catherine ‘Kate’ Jane and William George. Kate Boles married Frederick Godfrey Pearson in 1926, and William George Boles married Amy Wilma Child in 1928.
William Hamilton Boles played a prominent part in the Agricultural Horticultural and Industrial Society (AHI) and farmed at the property which became known as Boles Meadows on the Illawarra Highway at Albion Park.
William George took over running the farm after his father's death in 1938. William and Amy had four children; Dora, Shirley, Valerie and Reginald.
External LinkDeath Mr J Boles 1901Obituary Mrs Boles 1916Farewell to Private Boles 1917Albion Park - Boles Farm 1918In Memoriam Helen (Ellen) Boles 1918Den of Foxes 1923Speedy Justice 1930Obituary Mrs W Boles 1937Mr George Boles 1948Funeral William Boles 1938
It is believed William was sponsored by John Hamilton of East Kangaloon, Berrima, along with an Alexander Boles, to emigrate to Australia. John Hamilton was probably related to William’s mother, Ellen Boles (nee Hamilton). John Hamilton's brother James, lived at Stoney Creek, Albion Park.
The NSW Immigration Deposit Journal for November 1883, lists William as 28 years old, and Alexander 24 Years old. They were both from Maguire? Bridge, County Fermanagh.
The NSW Assisted Immigration Passenger List for the ‘Australian’ 1884, lists single men William H Bowles as 18 years old, and Alexander Bowles as 24 years old. They were both agricultural labourers.
In 1893, William Hamilton Boles married Margaret Fleming at Kiama. Margaret was the daughter of William and Catherine Fleming (nee Gibson). Margaret’s father William died in 1892, the result of injuries received from falling from his horse at Stoney Creek, Jamberoo.
William and Margaret lived at Robertson for a time. William had at least one brother John Henry Boles, and a sister Emma Jane Boles, who also lived in the Robertson area. John Henry Boles marriage certificate from 1898 states their father George Boles, was a shoemaker. Emma’s marriage certificate dated 1899, states their father George was a farmer. Their mother Ellen Bowles died at Robertson 17 November 1916. Ellen’s parents were as John and Ellen Hamilton (nee Ward).
William and Margaret Boles had two children, Catherine ‘Kate’ Jane and William George. Kate Boles married Frederick Godfrey Pearson in 1926, and William George Boles married Amy Wilma Child in 1928.
William Hamilton Boles played a prominent part in the Agricultural Horticultural and Industrial Society (AHI) and farmed at the property which became known as Boles Meadows on the Illawarra Highway at Albion Park.
William George took over running the farm after his father's death in 1938. William and Amy had four children; Dora, Shirley, Valerie and Reginald.
External LinkDeath Mr J Boles 1901Obituary Mrs Boles 1916Farewell to Private Boles 1917Albion Park - Boles Farm 1918In Memoriam Helen (Ellen) Boles 1918Den of Foxes 1923Speedy Justice 1930Obituary Mrs W Boles 1937Mr George Boles 1948Funeral William Boles 1938
Photograph
Place
Boles Bridge was opened in the 1920s on the old South Coast road (Illawarra Highway) It was demolished in the 1960s after many years of severe flood damage. The Boles farm, visible on the left of the photo, was situated on the site of Samuel Terry's former holdings. Stockyard Mountain is in the background.
CONNECTIONS
CollectionFamiliesFamilyFlemingHamilton (Ebenezer and Rosannah Branch)Hamilton (John and Esther)LocalityAlbion ParkPlaceBoles Meadows
Boles. Shellharbour City Council, accessed 11/02/2026, https://discover.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/627






