NameErskine, John JOccupationFarmerPlace of ResidenceMacquarie PassBiographyJohn James Erskine Jnr was born in 1885 at Goulburn, to John James and Susan Erskine (nee O’Brien)
John Jnr married Lotti May Blundell in Queensland in 1914.
John and Lotti had five sons;
Sidney Claude b.1916 (married Thelma Nora Teerman, died 1990, Albion Park)
Darcy Orville b.1918 (married Judith Logan, died 2007, Albion Park)
William Byron b.1920 (died 1973, Albion Park)
Harry Thomas b.1922 (died 2005, QLD)
James Noel b.1928 (died 2023, South Australia)
In 1923,John purchased 80 acres portion 85 Macquarie Pass.
The farm, named 'Mount Misery' was originally owned by Mr. Conrad Heininger, and was burnt out by the 1909 bush fires.
The farm was accessed by a road running off Tongarra Mine Road, west along the ridge now known as ‘Rough Range’.
The Erkine's neighbours to the west on portion 86 were the Clancy’s, also on 80 acres. About 1946, after World War Two, a saw mill was set up as a commercial operation by Sid Erskine.
When Harry Erskine was in the army, he would get leave, catch the train from Wollongong to Mount Murray on top of the escarpment on the Moss Vale line and walk down a track to ‘Nurrewin’, then through ‘Clover Hill’ to his home at ‘Mount Misery’ lower down the slopes.
Harry remembers the local policeman, Constable Crow who regularly patrolled the area.