NameCroom SchoolTypeBuildingSchoolRuinGeolocation[1] DescriptionCroome School, a two acre site on the Croom Estate of Ebenezer Russell, was situated at the top end of Croome Road.
The school with residence opened on 26th May 1884 by Mr. John Fraser the Mayor of the Municipality of Shellharbour in the presence of 200 people. (Kiama Independent 1884).
In 1890 on Arbor Day, Mrs. McGill planted the first tree on the hilltop at the school, and the children were addressed by Mr. Thomas Armstrong, Alderman of Shellharbour Municipality. Several present, planted trees, as well as the pupils, and some of the renowned trees still survive on the hill.
Mr. J. Davidson was the school teacher and when he and Mrs. Davidson were leaving in 1922, Mr. W.H. Norris presented them with a ‘very handsome rug’ in appreciation of their service. (from Illawarra Mercury report 14/7/1922.)
The Croome Public School closed in 1923 and the school was demolished sometime in the mid 1900s, leaving only the stone foundations. The site is now closed to the public.
Mrs. Ruth Oke nee: McGill attended the Croome School in 1919 with her brother Jim, and other class names were Hamiltons, Parrish, Badans, Couzens, Norris, Dunster, Anderson, and McDonald. Teachers Mrs. Oke remembers were Messrs. Farr, Towle, Pickerman, and Mr. Davidson. (research Carole O’Meley).
A stand of Umbrella Pine Trees (Pinus Pinea) survive on Croome Road that leads to the old school site.