NameShellharbour (Dunmore) Railway StationTypeRailwayGeolocation[1] AddressDunmore Road, DunmoreDescriptionDunmore Station and Station Masters residence were built during the 1890s to service the Shellharbour Township. Dunmore Station is one of three railway stations between Wollongong and Kiama.
The station opened on 9th November 1887. A crossing loop was added in 31st July 1911 and a spur line to the Dunmore quarry opened on 15th August 1923.
The railway line crossed the Shellharbour Road at Princes Highway Dunmore, and the station and station master’s residence was built at this location.
Commuters needed transport to Shellharbour Village some 2 miles distance. As early as 1889, Mr. Lindsay and Mr. Dunster asked for a platform at Lindsay’s Lane, a mile and a half north of Shellharbour station, for more convenience to Shellharbour people.
In 1891, the Minnamurra platform was built on the Shellharbour side of the Minnamurra River and almost opposite the entrance to the Dunmore House of Mr. G.L. Fuller.
In 2009 a proposal was made for a new station at the new Flinders Estate to the north.
[b] Station Masters Honour Roll - Dunmore/Shellharbour Station from 1887-[/b]
J.C. Humphrey, Henry Locke, Andrew Burns, Charles W. Swanson, Harold M. Johnson, J. McNally, Vincent H. Scard, Austin Eldridge, James A. Kellan, Kenneth F. Law, Michael J. Keelan current station master 2009.
In 1950, Mr. Mick Gunning was the last gatekeeper at Dunmore/Shellharbour Railway Station.