Kelly, Michael Snr
DESCRIPTION
NameKelly, Michael SnrOccupationSawyer, FarmerPlace of ResidenceShellharbour, Berkeley, JamberooBiographyMichael Kelly was born to Thomas and Catherine Kelly (nee Walsh). According to his obituary (Illawarra Mercury 8 August 1895), his date of birth was 6 June 1806.
In 1831, he was tried at Roscommon, Ireland for violent assault and transported to Australia aboard the 'Asia' (8) for seven years. His convict records list his name as William Kelly.
Michael, along with Hugh Connie and Andrew Gately were found guilty of assaulting Joseph Mitten, Joseph voted for a candidate the three men did not approve of. The case was reported in the Freeman Journal.
Michael was assigned to John Reddall, Peterborough Estate (Shellharbour) on his arrival in 1831.
The NSW Register of Convicts Applications to Marry 1837, lists 'William' Kelly, aged 31, with a Ticket of Leave, as applying to permission to marry Susannah (Susan) Ireland.
Susannah was reputedly born c.1814 County Galway and arrived as a free settler in Van Diemen's Land aboard the 'Boadicea' in 1835. She worked for Mr. George Watson as a general servant before leaving Hobart Town for the Illawarra in 1836, aboard the 'Francis Feeling'. The Watson's were also passengers.
George Watson was a Jamaican born ship merchant. He took over part of John Reddall’s lease of the Peterborough Estate. George’s wife Mary Ann accompanied him, as well as their eight children, and servant Susannah (Susan) Ireland.
Michael married Susannah at the schoolhouse, Wollongong the following year, though his name was listed as William.
The 1841 Census records Michael living in a wooden house on the Peterborough Estate (Shellharbour), that was owned by Messrs. Abbott and Hoff. Four people lived in the house, Michael, Susannah and their eldest two children.
The 1855-1856 NSW Electoral Roll lists Michael living on a leasehold on the Berkeley Estate (Five Islands).
Michael and Susannah had eight children; Catherine b.1837, Thomas b.1839, John b.1842, Michael b.1845, Mary Ann b.1846, Henry b.1848, James b.1851 (died 1854), and Edward b.1854.
Susannah died at Berkeley in 1876 was buried at the Old Roman Catholic burial ground, Wollongong. Michael continued to live at Berkeley until about 1886, when he moved to Jamberoo to live with his son, Michael Jnr, and daughter-in-law Julia Ann (nee Cole). He lived with them until his death in 1895.
Another of Michael and Susannah’s sons, John Kelly, had married Julia Ann’s sister, Louisa Mary Cole at Kiama in 1866.
The historic c.1850’s slab hut, and former home of Michael Kelly Jnr, known today as ‘Kelly’s Cottage’ at Jamberoo, was reputedly built by members of the Kelly family.
Research undertaken by Terry Nunan in his 'Coastal Land Transactions County Camden and County St Vincent 1857-1864' publication reveals the land on which Kelly's Cottage at Minnamurra was built, was part of a 100-acre grant to Michael Kelly Snr 22 July 1853, 'commencing on Minnamurra Rivulet at junction of the 100a Grant & a mp of 100a granted to Johnathon Cole, W by Cole's land, N by E line opposite Johnathon Cole & Jas Smith, E by S line opposite other part of Kelly's 100a, S by Minnamurra Rivulet'.
The land was described as hilly and difficult to access, with good soil and plentiful water. It contained red cedar, white cedar, turpentine, sassafras, gum, hickory, mountain ash, stringy bark, and whitewood.
External LinkCase of Lunacy at Jamberoo 1872Death Susanna Kelly - 1876Day Coach Thomas Kelly 1877Death at Hospital - Mary Ann Kelly 1880Death Catherine Shannon (nee Kelly) 1892The Jamberoo Falls 1895The Late Mr Michael Kelly and Old Illawarra Resident 1895Berkeley Clearing Out Sale Edward Kelly 1896Obituary Mrs Julia Ann Kelly 1897Cycling Tours Wollongong to Minnamurra Falls 1898Mr M Kelly 1911Death Edward Kelly 1926
In 1831, he was tried at Roscommon, Ireland for violent assault and transported to Australia aboard the 'Asia' (8) for seven years. His convict records list his name as William Kelly.
Michael, along with Hugh Connie and Andrew Gately were found guilty of assaulting Joseph Mitten, Joseph voted for a candidate the three men did not approve of. The case was reported in the Freeman Journal.
Michael was assigned to John Reddall, Peterborough Estate (Shellharbour) on his arrival in 1831.
The NSW Register of Convicts Applications to Marry 1837, lists 'William' Kelly, aged 31, with a Ticket of Leave, as applying to permission to marry Susannah (Susan) Ireland.
Susannah was reputedly born c.1814 County Galway and arrived as a free settler in Van Diemen's Land aboard the 'Boadicea' in 1835. She worked for Mr. George Watson as a general servant before leaving Hobart Town for the Illawarra in 1836, aboard the 'Francis Feeling'. The Watson's were also passengers.
George Watson was a Jamaican born ship merchant. He took over part of John Reddall’s lease of the Peterborough Estate. George’s wife Mary Ann accompanied him, as well as their eight children, and servant Susannah (Susan) Ireland.
Michael married Susannah at the schoolhouse, Wollongong the following year, though his name was listed as William.
The 1841 Census records Michael living in a wooden house on the Peterborough Estate (Shellharbour), that was owned by Messrs. Abbott and Hoff. Four people lived in the house, Michael, Susannah and their eldest two children.
The 1855-1856 NSW Electoral Roll lists Michael living on a leasehold on the Berkeley Estate (Five Islands).
Michael and Susannah had eight children; Catherine b.1837, Thomas b.1839, John b.1842, Michael b.1845, Mary Ann b.1846, Henry b.1848, James b.1851 (died 1854), and Edward b.1854.
Susannah died at Berkeley in 1876 was buried at the Old Roman Catholic burial ground, Wollongong. Michael continued to live at Berkeley until about 1886, when he moved to Jamberoo to live with his son, Michael Jnr, and daughter-in-law Julia Ann (nee Cole). He lived with them until his death in 1895.
Another of Michael and Susannah’s sons, John Kelly, had married Julia Ann’s sister, Louisa Mary Cole at Kiama in 1866.
The historic c.1850’s slab hut, and former home of Michael Kelly Jnr, known today as ‘Kelly’s Cottage’ at Jamberoo, was reputedly built by members of the Kelly family.
Research undertaken by Terry Nunan in his 'Coastal Land Transactions County Camden and County St Vincent 1857-1864' publication reveals the land on which Kelly's Cottage at Minnamurra was built, was part of a 100-acre grant to Michael Kelly Snr 22 July 1853, 'commencing on Minnamurra Rivulet at junction of the 100a Grant & a mp of 100a granted to Johnathon Cole, W by Cole's land, N by E line opposite Johnathon Cole & Jas Smith, E by S line opposite other part of Kelly's 100a, S by Minnamurra Rivulet'.
The land was described as hilly and difficult to access, with good soil and plentiful water. It contained red cedar, white cedar, turpentine, sassafras, gum, hickory, mountain ash, stringy bark, and whitewood.
External LinkCase of Lunacy at Jamberoo 1872Death Susanna Kelly - 1876Day Coach Thomas Kelly 1877Death at Hospital - Mary Ann Kelly 1880Death Catherine Shannon (nee Kelly) 1892The Jamberoo Falls 1895The Late Mr Michael Kelly and Old Illawarra Resident 1895Berkeley Clearing Out Sale Edward Kelly 1896Obituary Mrs Julia Ann Kelly 1897Cycling Tours Wollongong to Minnamurra Falls 1898Mr M Kelly 1911Death Edward Kelly 1926
CONNECTIONS
CollectionPeopleFamilyO'KeefeCondonIndustryCedar GettersLocalityJamberooShellharbour City LGAPlacePeterborough Estate
Kelly, Michael Snr. Shellharbour City Council, accessed 05/12/2025, https://discover.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/8868






