NameMoodAlternative NameMuthDescriptionHendrik (Henry) and Ludwig (Louis) Muth (Mood were born to Heinrich and Anna Margarita (Margaret) Muth in Frankfurt-on-Maine, Germany in 1848 and 1850.
Henry was seven and Louis five, when they came to Australia in 1855 with their mother and stepfather Phillip Deitz. The Moods changed their surnames from Muth, when they arrived.
In 1875, Henry established a wheelwright and coach building factory at Shellharbour Village, and with his brother Louis, built up a flourishing business.
From 1878 to 1881, Henry served as Alderman on Shellharbour Municipal Council, as well as undertaker in the town. Henry also worked in the timber building trade, and in 1891 opened his two-story New Royal Hotel, on the southwest corner of Addison and Wentworth Street, Shellharbour.
Henry married Elizabeth Brown in 1872. The family moved to the North Coast in the early 1900's.
Louis married Martha Tomlin in 1874. Louis continued the wheelwright and coach building business. He served as Alderman on Shellharbour Municipality from 1885 to 1906, and Mayor from 1898 to 1901. With the coming of the railway, business activities moved to Albion Park.
The business in Tongarra Road was the largest of its type in Albion Park. Ten to twelve men were employed making slides, sulkies, spring carts, tip drays, four wheeled wagons, buggies and coaches as well as shoeing ponies, cart and draught horses. All upholstery was done on the premises, the coach seats in leather using horsehair filling, and metal fittings for the coaches and sulkies.
A large shed was used by the farriers for shoeing horses, where six or eight at a time could be tethered to the rings on the side walls. Steel axles, hubs and threaded ends were hand forged on the anvil, and staff were always kept busy repairing ploughshares, new steel shoes or runners for the slides, making pins for posts and gate hinges as well as livestock firebrands.
Louis died in Albion Park in 1920 and was buried at Kiama Cemetery.