NameFred Ball ParkAlternative NameWattle GroveTypePark/ReserveGeolocation[1] AddressTorrens Place, Albion ParkDescriptionFred Ball’s grandfather, Richard Padler Ball, bought the farmland in about 1865. Richard Padlar was an Alderman on Shellharbour Council for 11 terms, 1 as Mayor in 1877.
Fred’s father, Richard, bought the farm from his father in 1892 and called it ‘Wattle Grove’. Fred Ball was the second son of Richard and Alice (nee Pearson), and worked the farm as the right hand man for many years. He later rented it from his father who died in 1928.
Fred then bought and worked the farm until he died in 1957. There are 2 Moreton Bay Figs located on the reserve. The first was planted around 1875. The second to the south was planted by Fred Ball about 1910.
The farm remained in the Ball name until sold to Miltonbrook. Council received letters from Mr. Joseph Smith, and Glenda Waples, Shirley Johnson and Wilma Sproule, daughters of Fred Ball, requesting the park be named in his honour. Request submitted to Council meeting of 2nd April, 1996 and approved.