NameWindang BridgeTypeBridgeGeolocation[1] AddressShellharbour Road, WindangDescriptionBefore a bridge was built at Windang, people travelling between Wollongong and Shellharbour could only cross at low tide.
People requested a operational punt in 1926 but conditions at the lake entrance were not suitable.
In 1936 the building of a wooden bridge was begun over Lake Illawarra to connect the two shires. The bridge was officially opened 2nd April 1938. It was 1,050 feet long with a 12 foot clearance at high tide, a 20 foot carriageway and a five foot path. The bridge cost £43,600 to construct.
George McIver was the head builder. A crane was used to pick up huge logs and poles (40 foot long with a big concrete block about four to five feet high and three feet wide), and lift them into the air about 30 feet. The logs were then released and a pile driver hit the pole into the water, to make the footings.
The bridge builder lived in canvas tents painted with a little lime and cement while constructing the bridge. Workmen came from all over
The townspeople held a party when the bridge was finished, and everyone walked over the bridge. A corroboree was held near the Windang camping area.
On 22 December 1971 a new cement bridge was completed and opened for south side traffic access, and on 22 September 1972 the north side was opened providing a four lane carriageway over Lake Illawarra.