NameThomas Bakery Scotch Oven, Bricks and FacadeGeolocation[1] DescriptionJohn Thomas Snr built a store on a site in Addison Street, owned by TA Reddall, about 1857. This brick store replaced his earlier slab constructed store, which is believed to have been located close to the new structure.
John Thomas Snr married Maria Haslam. Their son, John Thomas Jnr established a bakery on the site prior to 1911. The bakery was located at the rear of the store.
The store and bakery was adjacent to the Thomas family home at 23 Addison Street. The two buildings had the same architectural form and structure.
During the bakery's demolition c.2001 it was discovered to have been made of hand made, sand stock bricks with distinctive 'frogs' (convict markings). At the rear, were the remains of the bakery, which dated back to the late 19th century, and included a cast iron oven built by HOPWOOD & SONS, oven builders of North Sydney.
When Addison Street Seafood Bar & Grill was erected on the site, the façade of the oven and its brick surround was incorporated into the rear entry. The restoration of the oven was supported by Shellharbour City Council Streetscape Project and made possible by The Tongarra Heritage Society Inc.
Shellharbour City Council is the owner of the relics.