NameCorner Store (Former)TypeBuildingBusinessShellharbour City CouncilGeolocation[1] Description‘The Old Corner Store’ is a vernacular building with unusual features including dormer windows and attic roof.
It is of weatherboard construction with corrugated ‘colorbond’ roof replacing previous shingles. The detached wrap-around skillion verandah, is now enclosed.
This store was constructed on land owned by TA Reddall. In 1855 William Carter leased a store on this site from Reddall. This store burnt down in 1861.
Robert Wilson, who operated the flour mill, advertised his 'Sea View' store at Shellharbour in 1858. It is believed this store was located where Allen's Post Office and Store was, on Addison Street. Robert Wilson sold this store to Walter Allen in 1868, and the newspaper notice informing his customers, says 'Walter Allen will succeed him on the old premises'.
An advertisement in the 'Kiama Independent' 15 May 1873, reads 'To Let, To Let, To Let, Central Store, Shellharbour. The above store with comfortable dwelling house attached is newly erected on one of the most eligible business sites in the important township of Shellharbour, having a frontage to Wentworth and Addison Streets. This shop was built and fitted up with counters and shelves expressly for the purpose of a general store; and there being less competition than for years past, there is a fine opening for a business man. For terms and particulars apply to the proprietor, Robert Wilson.'
Wilson also called this store the 'Sea View Store'.
Wilson owned a steam flour mill on the Shellharbour waterfront between 1857 to 1860’s, was on the committee for the establishment of a National School at Shellharbour, Member of the Shellharbour Public School Board, Alderman 1859-1864 & 1869-1876, and Mayor of Shellharbour Municipality 1873- 1874.
In 1868, Walter Allen purchased the business and stock from Robert Wilson.
After Wilson’s death in 1881, the store was leased by Mrs Dettmer until 1885 when she purchased the premises from Trustees.
In 1926 Mrs HG Reeves purchased the building and Dawes Reeves Architect drew plans for alterations and additions of dormer windows.
In 1955 the building was purchased by Edward Raftery who operated the store as Raftery’s Corner Store.
The building was purchased by Shellharbour Council in 1987, restored and leased.